EXPERIENCED JUNIOR INTERIOR DESIGNER
- Are you a self-starter looking to make an impact in a growing interior design firm?
- Are you an ambitious interior designer with a passion for creating highly functional and aesthetically beautiful spaces?
- Do you thrive in a collaborative working environment?
- Do you have 1 to 4 years of full-time experience after graduation?
- Do you show a high degree of creativity and entrepreneurship?
- If yes, consider joining our growing team!
West of Main is an Ottawa-based company designing globally. This is an opportunity to work on a large array of projects, including restaurants, offices, commercial condos, sales & design centres as well as custom residential designs. From renovation design to new construction design, West of Main is focused on attracting one-of-a-kind projects and diversifying our portfolio in both residential and commercial design.
As a Junior Interior Designer at West of Main, you will plan, design and furnish interior environments of residential and commercial spaces. To qualify for this position you must have graduated from an Interior Design Degree or Diploma program or an Architecture undergraduate program, have a G driver’s license and have your own vehicle, reside in Ottawa Ontario, and be seeking long-term employment for a full-time position 40 hours per week.
West of Main strives to achieve our client's goals through innovative, intelligent and creative solutions that are inspired by designs from around the world.
Good design should 'breathe life into spaces', making them more functional, adaptable and pleasurable to experience.
Principal Senior designer Sascha Lafleur and working alongside a team of designers our ideal candidate will fulfil an essential role in the firm by:
- having design and technical skills to contribute to both stand-alone and integrated projects
- establishing, nurturing and maintaining effective client relationships
- working with our team to develop design concepts that reflect the firm’s passion for creativity and innovation
- being actively involved within the firm to promote our culture and engage positively with all staff, clients and suppliers
As a Junior Interior Designer at West of Main you will be responsible for the following:
- Understanding individual client needs; generating aesthetic ideas based on these needs and establishing a project binder with mood boards, FF&E Schedules,
- Estimates, Plans and Elevations
- Writing Basic Scopes of Work
- Administrative filing and organisation
- Dealing with a client budget, sourcing and ordering appropriate materials, finishes and products
- Proficiently surveying and taking site measurements
- Communicating with suppliers
- Providing samples for clients and consulting on colours
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS - SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES
- Highly motivated individual who works well independently and as a team player
- At least 1-year Full-time experience in interior design required after graduation
- Strong design skills
- Experience with hospitality, commercial and residential projects at a variety of scales
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code
- Understanding of Construction and Contract Administration process
- Rigorous attention to detail and accuracy
- Time management and organisation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to handle stressful situations and Problem Solve in a calm and respectful manner
- Full working proficiency with design software:
- Sketchup and Plug-ins
- 3DS Max
- InDesign and Canva
- Microsoft Office, especially with expertise in Excel and Microsoft Word
- Google Drive/G-suits/Google Docs.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS – EDUCATION/LICENSING/CERTIFICATION
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in interior design, architecture, or foreign equivalent
G Drivers License
- Your own vehicle
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED SKILLS AND ASSETS
Desire to work on marketing, social media and facilitating the advancement of the firm
Experience working in a larger firm
Full-time employment position 40 hours per week
Overtime may be required to meet deadlines.
If you have the required background and would like to join our growing firm, please submit a cover letter that specifically addresses how your skills and experience meet each of the minimum requirements and the additional preferred skills and assets for this position and attach samples of your best work.
We thank you for your interest in our firm. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.